Children (Pre-K - Grade 7)
“These words that I command you this day shall be upon your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your children.” Deuteronomy 6:6-7
Unleash the Gospel
Archbishop Coakley has identified families as “the heart” of our archdiocesan efforts to unleash the Gospel because the family is the “domestic church” and is the first and most important setting for evangelization. Family is the “vital cell” for transforming the world. It is our privilege to journey in faith with every family; let’s encounter Jesus Christ together!
Parents …you are the single greatest influence on the spiritual and religious life of your children. Nothing else even comes close. If you live the faith inside and outside of your home, your children have the greatest opportunity to do the same. In the spiritual and Religious development of children, parents are more important than anything else, including peers and media (Notre Dame Study Panel: The National Study of Youth & Religion – Bartkus & Kenan, 2016). We are committed to supporting parents and families in living their faith inside and outside of their homes.
Tips for Teaching Children at Home
- Create a Prayer Space. Here's how.
- Set aside a dedicated day for learning the faith.
- Contact your children’s teachers and catechists for faith lesson ideas for home.
- Eat dinner together and check out this resource.
- Don’t let the “teaching moments” pass you by; talk about Jesus in your daily lives.
- Incorporate virtues – here’s a resource.